analytics & adsense

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Winter thoughts from a Gardner


Here we are, sliding into winter and almost Christmas! My mind gets very active this time of year, not with 100 things to do like in the summer but rather with introspective thoughts and endless questions of the universe! This is the first year I've gardened so hard in the summer and fall and accomplished so much I set out to do that come November I was truly and genuinely exhausted and READY for an escape from the garden. I walk over to see her about once a week, maybe more sometimes, and I appreciate her calmness. I remember the lushness of summer and not only how gorgeous she was but how much came out of her. In the throws of summer I think too many of us forget to take the time during all of that to stop down and truly be grateful. I know I'm guilty of that and I did try numerous times throughout the summer, more so in the fall, to pull myself back in, inward, to be present, mindful and appreciative. 




This year trying to make my garden make a profit to start a side business of selling veggies and flowers at market, took a whole lot of joy out of the process for me and that was a curve ball I was not expecting. I fought with myself on inner dialogue about the whole thing all summer. I'm very savvy in business and run several other small businesses, quite successfully, so I saw this as something else I could research, study and tackle. Unfortunately, after much effort and countless hours, I came to accept that our local small community is not the greatest market to appreciate and buy fresh, local, organic produce. So by the end of the summer I shifted my focus on how I could produce as much as possible for my own family to can. And THAT mission was a success. We put over 250 jars of food in our pantry and that feels like a win every time I walk in there! 



So this summer and this entire growing year taught me a lot about myself and the garden, as it always does each year. That is another thing that never ceases to amaze me, that I can do the same thing (gardening) every year and still learn so much, have so many failures and successes with the same exact tactics. I think that's why gardening still gives me a childlike joy after 5 years. I feel like I'm just on the peaceful, fulfilling, meandering path with mother nature and together we experiment and a lot of times she shows me who's boss and other times I get big wins and we smile together.




Back to today, it's a cold, dreary, super rainy day in December and we're about to get ready to head to Branson for the weekend for some Christmas cheer and festivities with all the kids. Just before a trip I always feel so full of gratitude because not only does my wandering heart LOVE to travel, but I also love to see new things and show those things to the children, to help increase their world view. So I hope today finds you blessed and if you're a gardener like me I hope you're always counting your blessings, challenging and growing your skills and finding peace and sanctuary in the garden. And in the winter I hope you find the light and blessings in the stillness of winter, to allow your body and soul to truly rest!


xoxo,

Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment